Willy Street Coop (West)
Monday June 27, 2016 6 pm. – 7pm.
6825 University Ave.
Middleton, WI 53562
Parity in 2016: Your Health Insurance Rights to Mental Health and Substance Use Services
Presenter: Shunette Hunter – Disability Rights Wisconsin Staff Attorney
1. Description. The purpose of the training is to educate consumers, families and advocates about their rights under the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA). A major goal of the training is to equip consumers to advocate for their rights under this law. This will be a presenter-led power point presentation accompanied by an interactive dialogue and a consumer-friendly guide.
2.The power point presentation will include:
• A brief synopsis of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act and comparison with state law.
• An overview of the scope of coverage using scenarios and hypotheticals.
• Common violations that result in a denial of benefits.
– How to ask your provider for something based on the Parity law.
• What to do when benefits are denied.
- Self-advocacy strategies and resources including forms and examples.
• Questions and answers.