We provide informational training and other learning opportunities for consumers, family members, attorneys and others who support people in the disability community. Disability Rights trainers offer effective strategies to strengthen individual advocacy skills, improve the system’s response to issues of access, broaden the understanding of disability rights and more. Please contact us to ask about accommodations and accessibility requests for our trainings.
Our trainings offer:
- Important information about the legal rights of people with disabilities
- Ways to advocate (stand up for yourself) when
- Asking for job accommodations (help on the job)
- Getting accessible (easy-to-use) transportation
- Making a smooth change from high school to work or college
- Using the right to vote
- Teaching methods that work well with different groups:
- Stories and activities to help guide each group in learning
- Easy-to-read handouts to help remember the most important things
- A list of resources (people and places to call for help)
- A certificate for successfully completing the training
Who we Typically provide trainings to:
Disability Rights Wisconsin can provide disability rights trainings in communities throughout Wisconsin. Any group, public or private, can request a training with us. We typically provide trainings for:
- Community mental health centers
- Advocacy groups
- Parent organizations
- Government agencies
- Service providers
- Vocational programs
- Other programs that work with people with disabilities
- Training Locations
We can offer trainings anywhere in Wisconsin. However, we need at least 12 people to sign up for each training. We will do trainings at any place that is easy for participants to access. Examples of training locations include:
- Meeting room at organization requesting the training
- Public schools and colleges
- Town halls
Our trainings are free for people with disabilities and their families. The cost for trainings we do for professionals, businesses and other organizations, is based on a fee-for-service scale.
Attend or Request Training
If you would like to attend one of our upcoming trainings, check out the events on our home page. If you would like toto request an in-person training for your group, you can fill out the training request form on the right side of this page, or contact us to schedule a training.
Below, we’ve provided examples of some of our training topics. We’ve also provided a description of the goals we hope to accomplish with each training.