If we can not help you directly with your particular issue, we will do our best to give you a referral to another agency that may be able to help you.  The following agencies are also useful legal referral resources:

Legal Assistance

  • Free Legal Answers – Wisconsin (American Bar Association)
    Free to Wisconsin residents. Ask your legal question online and volunteer attorneys may answer your question through the website.
  • Community Justice Incorporated
    A law firm that represents low-income individuals and families involved in landlord/tenant, disability and mental health, employment, family, child welfare, education, discrimination, consumer/credit, land use, environmental issues.
  • Economic Justice Institute (UW Law School)
    Home to the law school’s legal assistance programs.
  • Legal Action of Wisconsin
    Provides civil legal services for WI low-income persons. Assists people with legal issues involving divorce, child custody/support, domestic violence, elder abuse, health care, Medicare, Social Security, public benefits, employment, guardianship, migrant workers, landlord/tenant, and more. Offices in Green Bay, La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee, Oshkosh, and Racine.
  • Modest Means Program (State Bar of Wisconsin)
    Part of the State Bar’s Lawyer Referral and Information Service. Provides legal assistance to people whose income is too high to qualify for free legal services, but too low to pay a lawyer’s standard rate.
  • Northern Wisconsin Legal Advice Project
    Website providing brief legal advice to low-income residents of the 10th Judicial District, which includes Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Burnett, Chippewa, Douglas, Dunn, Eau Claire, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, St. Croix and Washburn counties.
  • Wisconsin Judicare
    Serves low-income people in 33 northern counties of WI. Handles cases involving bankruptcy, social security and SSI, family law, health, housing, income maintenance, wills, and Indian law.


Advocacy and Resource Agencies

  • ABC for Health, Inc
    Legal staff may help you “challenge health insurance claim denials, negotiate with creditors, and represent you in appeals before government agencies.”
  • Aging and Disability Resource Centers  (ADRC)
    ADRC’s provide information on broad range of programs and services, helps people understand the various long term care options available to them, helps people apply for programs and benefits, and serves as the access point for publicly-funded long term care.
  • Board on Aging and Long Term Care (BOALTC)  The Long Term Care Ombudsman Program provides advocacy services to persons age 60  and older who are consumers of Wisconsin long term care programs. 
  • Independent Living Centers (ILC’s) provide assistance to people with all kinds of disabilities.  Services provided by ILCs include: peer support, information and referral, independent living skills training, coordination of personal care and other services, advocacy and community education.